Bungalow Bay YHA and Koala Village – Magnetic Island
When I told my boyfriend that we’d be staying in the Bungalow Bay YHA and Koala Village on our trip to Magnetic Island, he laughed and thought I had ridiculously picked the place only because it had “koala” in the name. (He may have been partially right on that assumption.) Tunes changed, though, when we actually pulled up to the tropical-looking hostel and was assigned our very own private bungalow for the weekend. We both agreed that Bungalow Bay was by far one of the coolest hostels we had ever stayed in, and just to prove our point, here are 20 reasons:
1. Quaint Bungalow Accommodation – Like I said, we were assigned our very own private bungalow. It was essentially like having our own place as each one is not connected to another, so the feeling of privacy is definitely there. There are also dorm bungalows, as well as family bungalows, for those traveling in groups.
2. Close to Beach – Walking to Horseshoe Bay beach takes literally 4 minutes, less if you power walk.
3. Air Conditioning – Being in the tropical area of Queensland, you’ll be thankful that your bungalow is equipped with air conditioning. Those muggy nights can be quite unbearable otherwise, even with the fan pointed straight at you on high speed.
4. Bushtucker Brekky – Every Sunday, the hostel features a Bushtucker Champagne Breakfast in the Koala Village. It is a buffet setting, and koalas just might come out to visit while eating.
5. National Park Setting – The Bungalow Bay YHA is set on 7 kilometers of national park, so you will definitely feel as though you are truly experiencing nature during your stay.
6. Other Wildlife – It may be a koala village, but there are plenty of other animals to see on the premises including the curlew, kookaburras, wallabies and lizards.
7. Hold a Croc – Well, it would be a baby crocodile, but you definitely have the opportunity to do so while staying at Bungalow Bay.
DOWNLOAD OUR TRAVEL GUIDES
8. On-site Bar & Restaurant – The open-air bar and restaurant provides for the ultimate hang-out experience, while also providing some nightly drink and food specials that can’t be passed up.
9. Mexican Night – Currently, the hostel is featuring a Mexican night on Sunday where they serve $10 nachos and $10 jugs of sangria. This is worth a point in my book for sure!
10. Great Amenities – There is a computer room, laundry facilities, a rather large swimming pool, wifi access and even bar fridges in the bungalows.
11. No TV Room – Who needs a TV room when you’re on Magnetic Island? The joy of being here is feeling so close to nature and enjoying the natural beauty.
12. 4WD Vehicle Rentals – The hostel can help you get a 4WD vehicle for even a few bucks less than the competition on the island. You’ll want this to get to some of the secluded beaches Magnetic Island offers. Trust me; it’s worth it!
13. Free Parking – There is a free car park for those that took advantage of renting a 4WD vehicle, a moke, a scooter, or for those that decided to ferry their very own vehicle on the FantaSea boat.
14. ATM On-site – With a bar and restaurant on-site, it is always handy to have an ATM machine just around the corner!
15. Bus Stop at Doorstep – To hop on the island’s buses, all you have to do is hang out the front of the hostel. Buses come just about every hour.
16. YHA Discount – If you’re a YHA member, you will get a discount (of at least 10%) at the Bungalow Bay YHA.
17. Snorkel Rental – There are a few places on the island that snorkeling is popular, so why not rent some snorkel gear from the front desk and get out there?
18. Bike Rental – If renting a vehicle isn’t your thing, bikes can make for a fun way to get around while also giving you an added bit of exercise to your holiday.
19. Friendly Staff – The staff here were some of the most helpful and friendly people ever. I guess that comes with island life.
20. Suits Any Traveler – Unlike Base over on the other side of the island (which looks awesome by the way), this hostel is great for any type of backpacker whether they be young and party-driven or older, even with families.
Have you stayed at the Bungalow Bay YHA before? If so, I’d love to hear about your experience. Leave a lovely little comment below!