Search for cheap airfare to Australia and book a flight to Australia
Australia is enormous – and even though most of the country might not be populated, it is still a huge expanse of land that is impossible to really get to know in one visit. What that means is that you will need several trips to see the country – which means more travel, yay! Airfare to Australia can certainly be costly, but with a little bit of research you should be able to save money on your flight to Australia.
- Read more on cheap flights in Australia
- Read more on cheap flights to Sydney International Airport
- Read more on cheap flights to Melbourne Airport
- Read more on cheap flights to Brisbane
- Read more on cheap flights to Perth Airport
- Read more on cheap flights to Cairns Airport
- Read more on cheap flights to Darwin International Airport
Quick search flights to Sydney (SYD), Melbourne (MEL) and Brisbane (BNE):
DOWNLOAD OUR TRAVEL GUIDES
Did you know that LA to Sydney is the shortest USA to Australia route? Get more tips on flying to Australia.
Tips for Cheap Airfare to Australia
- Find out which airlines use Australia airports as a hub – Sometimes airlines that have frequent flights to and from a certain airport will have more specials or deals on airfare to that city than airlines that just fly one or two flights per week. This is not always going to be the case, as some other airlines will try to undercut the competition with cheap airfare, but it is always worth checking first. For instance, Qantas (Australia’s national carrier) and Virgin Blue have hubs at Sydney Airport.
- Schedule your flights for midweek – As you might guess, weekend travel days are the busiest days of the week for airlines due to the limited holidays of most leisure travelers. What you might not know is that Mondays are also busy travel days, but for a completely different reason – business travel. In both cases, these busy travel days mean that airlines do not have to worry about the seats on their planes filling up, so they can charge higher prices. By scheduling your flights for Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays you could save yourself some money on airfare to Australia.
- Visit Australia during the low season – Everything in the tourism industry has a high season price and a low season price, and that goes for airfare as well. Since Australia is in the southern hemisphere, its seasons are the opposite of most of the rest of the world, which can make visiting during what one would consider a “low season” a challenge. Generally speaking, Australia’s summer is considered the “high season” and airfare will jump, but during the northern hemisphere’s summer (the most popular travel time) the prices could go up slightly as well. Most of the time you should see lower prices during Australia’s winter, so that is the time to travel to save money on your flight to Australia.
- Fly into a different city – Australia has two major international airports (Sydney and Melbourne), so if you are having a hard time finding a good deal flying into one of them you can always try the other. Then you can book a separate ticket on a budget carrier like Virgin Blue to make the short hop from one city to the other. This may take a bit more planning on your part, but if it can save you money it might be worth it. Once in the country, it is also an option to investigate the other modes of transportation in Australia to get from one city to the next.
For most of the world’s population, traveling to Australia takes a long time – so you want to make the most of your visit to the country. The best way to do that is to not spend a fortune on your airfare to Australia, leaving you more money to spend on your vacation. Between the tips provided here and the great deals you can find with our airfare search engine on this page you will be able to come up with cheap airfare to Australia.
- Take a look at some of the great tours in Australia you can book to fill your itinerary once here.
Have a great time in Australia, and if you need more information to plan your visit Down Under, there are traveler’s stories about Australia you can read as well as keeping tabs on daily life in Australia on this Australia Travel Guide.
Don’t forget! You can book your Australia flights and hotels in the booking widget below.