Australia Travel Guide |
Home Accomodation in Australia Airfare to Australia What to do in Australia

Work Visas for Australia

Working Holiday VisaIn order to work in Australia you will need a valid passport from your home country and a visa allowing you to work in Australia.

According to the Australian Government, there are several types of work visas for workers. There is also the possibility to work while visiting Australia (the working holiday makers visa). Also, regional visa programs are available. The programs are designed to help supply the rural or regional Australia with skilled workforce.

The Employer Sponsored Workers visa is aimed at skilled people who are employed to work in Australia on a temporary or permanent basis. The applicants must be sponsored by their employer. Here you can find more information about the Employer Sponsored Workers visa.

The Professionals and other Skilled Migrants visa is aimed at people who are not sponsored by an employer and have the skills required in Australia. The applicant must be over 18 years old but not older than 45, with good English skills and work experience relevant for the skills required in Australia. There are a lot of visa options under this program, known as General Skilled Migration Program. Here you can read more about the program.

These two types of visas aren’t the only ones which employers can use to sponsor overseas employees. Here is a detailed list comprises all the types of employer visas.

The Business People visa is aimed at persons who want conduct business visits, manage or establish a business in Australia. Therefore, under this program there are three visa options: Business Visits, Business Development –Provisional and Business Development –Permanent. Each option offers several types of visas so make sure to read all the information before applying for such a visa.

The Special Activities visa is aimed at people who come to Australia to receive medical treatment, participate in a sporting or entertainment event, and retire, to name just a few. There are 16 visa options, all detailed here.

The Doctors and Nurses can apply for a special visa. Since there is a shortage of doctors and nurses particularly in the regional areas, this is a great opportunity for anyone wanting to relocate. There are specific requirements for each category. Here you can read more about the requirements and the visa options both for doctors and nurses.

The Working Holiday Makers visa is the most common visa for backpackers and young travelers to experience the Australian culture. The applicants must be between 18 and 30 years old, have no dependents and are citizens of eligible countries. According to the Australian Government, the eligible countries are: Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, France, Finland, Germany, Italy, Hong Kong, Ireland, Japan, Korea, Malta, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan, the Netherlands and The United Kingdom. The working holiday visas are obtained for up to 12 months and you can do any type of work for any employer (but only up 6 months). The fee applicable is AUD 230.

The Work and Holiday Visa is different from the one presented above. It applies for the citizens of certain countries that don’t have a Working Holiday Visa agreement with Australia. Currently, the citizens from the following countries can apply for this type of visa: USA, Thailand, Chile, Turkey and Bangladesh. The fee applicable is AUD 230 and you can do any type of work for any employer (but only up to 6 months). The visa is obtained for up to 12 months.