Free Things to Do in Australia
In order to see as much of Australia as I possibly can, I typically resort to the skills I picked up as a backpacker to save money. Australia is not considered a budget travel destination, but it is definitely a country worth splurging in order to experience. However, it doesn’t have to break the bank… not really. Just be sure to try and work in some of these free things to do in all the major cities and you’ll be right.
Free Things to Do in Sydney
When saving bucks in Sydney, have a look into the following list:
- Walk around the Sydney Opera House, and enjoy a sunset in the evening over the water.
- Stroll around the Rocks District and do some people watching.
- Hang out at Nielsen Park and take advantage of the walking trails.
- Window shop at the Queen Victoria Building.
- Follow the Writers Walk around Circular Quay.
- Take in the atmosphere at Sydney’s Darling Harbour.
- Hit up some of Sydney’s famous beaches!
- Pay a visit to the Government House.
- Find a free Sydney walking tour with a guide full of tips and insight.
Read more about these free things to do in Sydney.
Free Things to Do in Melbourne
Learn how to save a dollar or two while in trendy Melbourne:
- Take a ride on the free City Circle Tram.
- Walk through the narrow lanes and streets where art and cafes pop.
- Window shop on Chapel Street and Acland Road.
- Visit the Australian Center for the Moving Image.
- Visit the Australian Center for Contemporary Art.
- Have a picnic in the Royal Botanic Gardens.
- Dive into a good book at the Victoria State Library.
- Hang around Federation Square where free things are always popping up.
- Do the Yarra River art walk.
Read more about free things to do in Melbourne.
Free Things to Do in Brisbane
Cut your costs in Brisbane by checking out this list of free things to do:
- Check out the koalas at the Daisy Hill Koala Centre.
- Spend the afternoon in the Brisbane City Botanic Gardens.
- Play some tennis at the New Farm Park.
- Enjoy the walking paths at Roma Street Parklands.
- Go window shopping at the Queen Street Mall.
- Hop on the Loop for a free bus tour of the city.
- Go for a dip at the man-made South Bank Beach.
- Get cultured at the Queensland Art Gallery and Museum of Modern Art.
Read more about these free things to do in Brisbane.
Free Things to Do in Perth
Budget travel doesn’t mean you can’t have fun and experience a destination in full. Here are some free things to do in Perth:
- Enjoy an overlooking view of Perth city from Kings Park.
- Leave Kings Park by venturing on the Federation Walkway.
- Head over to Cottesloe for a magical sunset over the Indian Ocean.
- Take in the architecture of the cozy Fremantle suburb.
- Hop on one of the four free CAT bus lines around the city.
- Discover history in the Museum of Western Australia.
- Discover local art at the Art Gallery of Western Australia.
- Visit the Fremantle Roundhouse for the daily 1pm cannon firing.
Read more about free things to do in Perth.
Free Things to Do in Cairns
Cairns is usually the jumping point for getting to all the big sights and attractions around north Queensland — most of which will require money. Even out your expenditures by working in a few of these free things in Cairns:
- Browse at the famous Cairns Night Markets at the base of the Royal Harbour Hotel.
- Get your daily exercise on one of the Mt. Whitfield walks.
- Gather on the Cairns Esplanade for a swim or a barbecue.
- Visit the Cairns Regional Art Gallery.
- Spend time on some of the glorious northern beaches like Kewarra and Palm Cove.
Read more about free things to do in Cairns.
Free Things to Do in Darwin
Enjoy Darwin’s natural beauty. It’s just one of the free things you can do in Darwin:
- Grab a snack and gather at the Mendil Beach Night Markets for the famous sunsets.
- Spend time in the George Brown Botanic Gardens.
- Do some fishing out on Stokes Hill Wharf for a relaxing afternoon.
- Visit the Fanny Bay Gaol heritage site.
- Learn about Darwin’s past at the Museum and Art Gallery of Northern Territory.
- Hit up the Darwin Wharf Precinct for some good people watching.
Read more about free things to do in Darwin.
Free Things to Do in Hobart
Hobart is Tasmania’s capital city, and a great place to do free things given the beautiful natural environment.
- Set up a picnic in the Royal Tasmanian Botanic Gardens.
- Browse through all the goods at the Salamanca Market.
- Walk across the Tasman Bridge on a sunny day.
- Learn about the Tasmanian history and culture at the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery.
- Drive to Mount Wellington for sweeping views of the city.
- Lounge on some Hobart beaches in the summer months.
Read more about free things to do in Tasmania.
Free Things to Do in the Gold Coast
To save money in the Gold Coast takes will power, and choosing some options from this list:
- Beach hop from one awesome beach to the next.
- Enjoy a good sunrise or sunset while walking along the beach.
- Window shop ’til you drop at the many malls and shops.
- Pay tribute to the Gold Coast Sporting Hall of Fame.
- Hit up the markets that happen in the all the fun Gold Coast beach towns.
- Walk around the Gold Coast Regional Botanic Gardens.
- Spend a day on the Federation Walk through to the sand dunes of the Spit.
Read more about free things to do in the Gold Coast.