Canberra, being the capital of Australia, is home to a number of foreign embassies and high commissions. It is located in the Australia Capital Territory (ACT), which is about 290 kilometers southwest of Sydney.
Foreign embassies and high commissions can help travelers from those countries with certain passport and visa issues (i.e. renewing passports), while they can also help travelers not from those countries obtain necessary visas and travel information for that location.
English-speaking foreign embassies and high commissions in Canberra:
- Embassy of Ireland in Canberra
- U.S. Embassy in Canberra
- British High Commission in Canberra
- High Commission for Canada in Canberra
- South African High Commission in Canberra
- New Zealand High Commission in Canberra
There are a number of consulates in Australia as well, and for most inquiries it might be required to consult a local consulate instead of the embassy or high commission.