Buses will take you just about anywhere in Australia, but be warned that these trips might be a bit on the long and boring side (see Australia map) if you aren’t fully prepared (think books, music & snacks). However, much like being on an international flight, it’s all about having the right mindset, and with that intact, taking the bus in Australia can be a very enjoyable experience.
>> See other modes of Australia transportation
Benefits of Bus Travel in Australia
- You don’t have to spend all of your time in airports.
- You don’t have to worry about driving in a foreign country.
- You don’t have to worry about the time between scuba diving and getting on a plane.
- You can usually get hop-on/hop-off packages.
- You will generally meet other travelers like yourself along the way.
- You may get discounts by holding a backpackers membership card.
Popular Australian Bus Companies
Two of the most popular bus companies in Australia are Greyhound and Oz Experience, the latter being targeted to the backpacker and independent traveler crowd.
Greyhound – Greyhound is a popular main bus line in Australia, and even though it is not primarily for backpackers, they have put together plenty of backpacker travel options. You can get hop-on/hop-off passes of different lengths and prices, full package deals or use them to get to major events around Australia. There are always deals and discounts listed on their homepage, so have a look if the budget airlines aren’t as cheap as you’d like. Visit site >>
Oz Experience – Oz Experience is a backpacker-targeted bus company that helps travelers looking to experience the east coast. They specialize in getting to the smaller, yet more loved, locations along the way. You simply choose your ticket, where you want to get off and on with them and the hostels and food is up to you. I would recommend this option for the younger backpacker, or at least the young at heart. Visit site >>
DOWNLOAD OUR TRAVEL GUIDES
However, there are a number of smaller charter and tour bus companies around the country that can be looked into depending on your travel needs.
- Murrays – Murrays offers coaches, buses and limousines (if that’s how you roll) throughout the major cities: Sydney, Canberra, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth, Alice Springs and Tasmania. Visit site >>
- Firefly Express – Firefly Express offers express service buses between Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide daily. Visit site >>
- Premier Motor Service – Premier offers luxury coach travel to a plethora of locations around Australia. Visit site >>
- TassieLink – TassieLink is a coach operator hitting Tasmania’s major locations. Visit site >>
- Groovy Grape – Groovy Grape offers bus tours to places such as the Barossa Valley, Uluru and Coober Pedy. Visit site >>
- Nullarbor Traveller – Nullarbor Traveller offers the trip from Adelaide to Perth. Visit site >>
- Easyrider Tours – Easyrider specializes in backpacker tours in Western Australia. Visit site >>
Bus Travel in Australian Cities
Bus transportation is prevalent in most Australian cities and is an excellent way to get around to the see the major tourist spots. I will be putting together a guide for all the major cities and updating this post to include that information in the near future, so check back soon.
If bus travel will take too long to fit into your schedule, why not search for a flight below?