Queensland is an Australian state that is located in the northeastern section of the country, just above New South Wales and to the right of Northern Territory. Queensland is known for having amazing, sunny and warm weather for a large part of the year, which makes it a dream destination for tourists. This state is home to the Daintree National Park, the Great Barrier Reef (just off the coast) and the famous Gold Coast.
The weather in Queensland varies from sunny to even sunnier throughout many parts of the year. You could generally say there are only 2 seasons in Queensland: the dry and the rainy season. The dry season would be winter where it is still fairly warm, but without humidity. The wet season is during summer when it is both hot and humid.
The best time of year to visit Queensland would be during the dry season because it is then that you are able to experience the glory of the north without dying of heat exhaustion. However, the sun may be warm during the dry season, but the breeze could be a bit too chilly to thoroughly enjoy your reef snorkeling adventure or beach lounging on Fraser Island.
Brisbane is the capital city of Queensland, and definitely the business hub for the state. Brisbane has the big city conveniences with a small town mentality, and the subtropical weather in the area helps make it a cool destination. There are plenty of things to do in Brisbane and its surrounds to entice any type of traveler.
Planning a trip to Brisbane:
- Budget Airlines that Fly to Brisbane – See where to save money on flights to Brisbane.
- Getting Around Brisbane – Learn how to get around the city of Brisbane.
- Discount Cards in Brisbane – Use discount cards to see attractions and spend less doing it.
- Getting from Melbourne to Brisbane – Navigate your way from one major city to another.
Cairns is a great tropical hub in the north with a small, beach-town vibe and plenty of activities nearby. You can hit the Great Barrier Reef, or take advantage of some of the many day trip options from the city.
Planning a trip to Cairns:
- Budget Airlines that Fly to Cairns – See where to save money on flights to Cairns.
- Cheap Hotels in Cairns – Find cheap accommodation in Cairns.
- Party Hostels in Cairns – Take a walk on the wild hostel side of Cairns.
- Getting from Sydney to Cairns – Learn how to get from Sydney to the very distance city of Cairns.
Townsville is a tropical town with a rich history. It is often seen as a business hub for the tropical north of Queensland, but there are plenty of “play” activities to keep you entertained.
Near Townsville: Check out Magnetic Island and Bowen.
Airlie Beach is the hub city for those wishing to sail the Whitsundays or visit the Great Barrier Reef. Before doing either of those, you can hike the Whitsunday Great Walk or visit Cedar Creek Falls.
Planning a trip to Airlie Beach:
- 10 Things to Do in Airlie Beach – Find out what’s hot to do in the beach town.
- Cheap Hostels in Airlie Beach – Find a cheap bed to crash in Airlie Beach.
- Cheap Hotels in Airlie Beach – Find a private room in Airlie Beach.
Cooktown is a small town that is way up into the more untouchable area of north Queensland. Captain Cook made a landing here, but that history is not the only reason you should visit. Cooktown is just a wonderful little getaway set in tropical surrounds. The people are as friendly as they come, the sunsets to die for, and the aboriginal tours incredibly eye-opening.
Planning a trip to Cooktown:
- Getting to Cooktown from Cairns – Whether you fly or drive, this post should get you on your way.